All about that base!

 It's been a few days...a little over a month!

I'd like to say that I've been doing something great but that's not the case. Here's what I think I've done in that time period.  I did the 5 days a week of running and found after a few weeks I just didn't have the desire to run anymore. So I cut it back to 4 days a week, which is what I've mostly been doing, and it's been good but I also feel like I haven't been running enough...LOL!  

Last week I attempted to start up a Stryd half marathon training plan but also stopped that.  I did the first two days came down with something, not to bad thankfully, and just had no desire to continue it. Based on these two things I think it shouldn't surprise you that I find it really hard to run or find motivation this time of year. 

So for now I'm just running.  More focusing on building that base...the aerobic base that is.  I still have plans to do the half marathon in late March, haven't signed up yet but I will before the end of the year, but for now I'm just doing slow runs and trying to enjoy the running again and feel good about it.  Get that aerobic base as big as I can.  This half marathon is not my A race.  Maybe a B race, perhaps a C race.  It's something for me to chase over the winter when it gets hard to find motivation.  Originally I wanted to try and get under two hours for the half but I don't know if that will happen.  We will see.  I have no doubt I'll be able to finish it if I am able to build my base like I want to.  So for now here is how things look for training (I'm still running with my Stryd foot pod but not paying to much attention to it...just recording data!)

Monday - Just an easy run.  Right now this is 20-25 minutes.  Super easy try and keep the heart rate low.  Some might call it a recovery run.  

Tuesday - Try and get some strength training in. About 20 minutes for now maybe increasing it over time. 

Wednesday - Medium run.  This will range from 40-50 minutes.  Originally I was going to throw some speed work into this but I think what I'm going to do is just do some strides (8 of them at 30 seconds) and then continue to run slowly with my heart rate lower. 

Friday - Another easy run.  Like Monday!

Saturday - Long run.  This is where I'm going to get the most bang for my buck I think.  I'm not sure just yet but I might put some tempo or at least faster paced running in here, but I'm going to increase my long run each week...I hope!

In the middle of January I'm going to do some sort of test.  Hopefully outside but if not I'll jump on the treadmill and knock something out!

So there you have it.  I'm going to try and post some more here just documenting my training to go and look back on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy running done!

Treadmill Season

Week 12 - Critical Power test in the books!