Off Season 2024

 It's been awhile since I've posted here, for just myself, but I thought I'd go ahead and get this down as it will help with my thought process as I move through this off season.  

But first lets look back on this season.  This was probably our most successful season.  The biggest takeaway was the half marathon PR of 1:59.04 in late September.  I'd like to say that I knocked off some stuff in regards to the 5K distance but it just didn't happen (only 1 5K race!).  I'm fairly certain that it would go down right now, without a lot of specific training, but we will leave it as it is.  I also set a new PR in the 8 mile Antelope Trail race distance.  Just by a few seconds but a PR is a PR and I'll take it. For whatever reason that course always gets me!

And now we begin the off season.  No races have been thought about or planned so I'm considering this the start of my off season and my big goal for this next year is to just get faster. And to do that I'm going to focus on improving my 5K time.  I hope (plan) to race a fair amount of 5K races next year and possibly finish the season off with a trail race half marathon.  

The thinking behind the focus on the 5K is to just get my power better.  A lot of what I'm planning is related to various posts that I've read about over the past 6 weeks from David Roche and his Leadville 100 win.  The bottom line is that to do better at every distance you need to improve your power, is what I've taken away.  So with that in mind here is kind of what I'm looking at with my training. 

I'm going to do 4 weeks block with that 4th week being a de-load and some sort of test at the end of it to see if we've made progress.  Maybe that's a bit much and we will test something every 8 weeks.  That might be better but I think a down week every 4th week will be good (maybe push this to 5 week blocks?).  It's worked well in the past and some training this summer really burned me out.  

Secondly I'll still be running 4 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday).  Tuesday and Thursday during this off season will be dedicated to uphill incline walking and getting a good weight/abs/mobility routine going that I can do and not feel like is a major pain in the ass.  

Specifically with the running Monday and Wednesday will be easy days, low heart rate, finished by uphill strides for 20-25 seconds.  Work up to doing about 6 of these at the end of our run. This is a take away from David.  Lots of strides to increase that power.  Running uphill is supposed to decrease the chance of injury.  Wednesday will be a workout day.  For now that is going to look like 1 minute intervals with 1 minute break.  Working up to doing 15-20 minutes of these! I'll change this up every now and then but it will most likely be shorter, less than 3 minutes.  Again another David take away.  Saturday will of course be a long run, 90 minutes during this off season, and I'll add in some steady running which is slightly above zone 2 running.  Just little bits of it.  I'm not sure if I'll put it in the middle of the run or pack it all at the end.  I think putting it all at the end as a fast finish might be the best.  Get a lot of easy running and then finish off a bit faster and not make the run a faster run than what we need (aka: going out of zone 2)

As long as I'm making progress of some sort I'll continue to do this.  It's boring but it's repeatable I think!  Also hoping to drop a few pounds and get my blood pressure under control.  

My hope is that my times will come down in the 5K, more powerful, and I'll be able to turn this into a faster half marathon or more.  I think it's important to measure progress so I'll be doing that every 8 weeks I think.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy running done!

Treadmill Season

Week 12 - Critical Power test in the books!