Still running and with a coach!

 As is usual I'm really only writing this for myself but I do enjoy writing, it provides and outlet, so I'm gonna put down a few thoughts. 

My half marathon on March 24th went better than expected, finish time of 2:26:50, which is better than the previous one I had done.  Despite doing the majority of that training on the treadmill I'm pretty happy with that.  I do plan on getting another one one the list, for the fall, and will hopefully getting close to 2 hours.  I'd love to go sub 2 but we will see. 

Along those lines I have hired a coach to see if they can help me go to the next level.  For the past few years, in my mind, I have been stuck at this level.  Just never able to take the next step to more volume and getting faster.  This coaches philosophy is a lot of very low intensity training with one really hard day thrown in.  So I'm running slower than I was previously most of the time but there is one really hard day...or we will get there (I'm guessing this week!).  

It's been about 3 weeks at this point and I'm already starting to see some results. For instance one of the things I've been doing is walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes or so at an incline.  When I first started I walked at a 3% incline at about 3.4 MPH and my heart rate was between 110-115.  Maybe about 112.  Today I did 3.5% incline and 3.5 MPH and my heart rate was around 110 with an average of 108.  I had to work to get it up into that area.  I've seen improvements in other areas but they are fairly small but I know over time they will amount to something.  This type of training will be done for about 6 months and it will be interesting to see where we are at the end of it!

So basically I'm ignoring power for right now! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy running done!

Treadmill Season

Week 12 - Critical Power test in the books!